Saturday, March 30, 2013

Last week was Spring Break, so yeah, long time since an update.

I was perusing NBC Latino (for ideas for this blog) when I saw this:
http://nbclatino.com/2013/03/29/after-pressure-from-gop-rep-young-utters-the-words-i-apologize/

GOP Representative Young recently apologized for using the term 'wetback' to refer to farm laborers. This by itself actually does not incite much emotion in me. What does get me peeved is that I heard it from no other news organization. I check CNN, Time, and Foreign Policy daily and I didn't hear about this. I Googled 'msnbc rep young' and 'cnn rep young' and they did report on it, but I'm certain if they used a racial slur that targets blacks (I find 'African-American' to be a poor term for several reasons), it'd be absolutely plastered on the news and I would have heard about it the day it happened. I've heard arguments over 'oversensitivity' in reference to certain phrases (Jeremy Lin's 'Chink in the Armor') but with this issue, the sensitivity may not be high enough.

Sure Representative Young is 79 years old and he was alive during Operation Wetback (it's from the 50's), but come on, that's not really a valid excuse here. It's just indicative of the Republican party in a lot of ways. Nobody is surprised that a Republican said it, but I guarantee if a Democrat said something like this everyone would be shocked. (I'm apolitical right now, please don't assume I'm picking sides.)

No comments:

Post a Comment